We are updating our website design to improve the experience on our site.


A Beautiful and Supportive Venue

We love it when people choose to celebrate their wedding at St Denys Church. It’s a beautiful, spacious and peaceful venue, and we offer personalised support and preparation as you journey towards your wedding and begin your marriage.

A Place for Special Memories

It’s immensely moving to meet a bride or groom who years, or even decades, later return to the church and to the place that their marriage journey began. Some have travelled from far afield such as America and Australia. and they find the church gives them anchor into the community that is part of their story.

If you are looking at the possibility of getting married at St Denys Church
the information below will be helpful to you.

Can I get married at St Denys?

If one or both of you live within St Denys parish then you are likely to be able to get married at St Denys Church.
Otherwise you will need to establish a Qualifying Connection with the parish.

You must both be over 18 years of age, or have written consent to marry if one or either of you is under 18.

There are special guidelines on marriage in the church if you are divorced.
You will need to talk the vicar about your situation to explore the possibilities for you.
Read more about it here.

Qualifying connection

If both partners live outside the parish, it is normally only possible to marry here if you are able to show what is called a Qualifying Connection to the parish.

What is a Qualifying Connection to the parish

  • One partner was baptized in the parish. or had their confirmation entered in a church register book of a church or chapel in the parish;
  • has at any time had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months;
  • has at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
  • a Parent of that person has at any time during that person’s lifetime had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months;
  • a Parent or Grandparent of that person was married in the parish.

No qualifying connection?

If both partners live outside the parish and you are unable to show a Qualifying Connection, it is normally only possible to marry here if you are, or if you become, regular worshippers at St Denys and your names are on our list of members, the Electoral Roll.

Reading of Banns

Most Church of England marriages will require Banns to be published before the wedding can take place.
You won’t need to arrange Banns until about four months before your wedding date.
Read more about what’s special and important about banns.

If there is not enough notice given for the Banns to be read before the marriage is due to take place, or in the case of the marriage of people who are not nationals of a country within the European Economic Area, or if one or both of you does not live in England or Wales, it is recommended that the Licence procedure be used rather than banns.


There are some circumstances in which you may need a Special Licence, Common Licence or a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate to marry in church. The vicar will let you know if these apply to you.

Yes, I want to marry at St Denys. What do I do now?

If you would like more information about getting married at St Denys Church,
please contact the Church Office: 023 8067 1757 or office@stdenys.church

You will be issued with a Wedding service checklist application and we can proceed from there.

How much does it cost?

You can find all the information you need about the cost of getting married at St Denys here: The Cost of Your Wedding

Take a look at www.yourchurchwedding.org for more information about planning your wedding or the wedding service